In order to meet and/or surpass their group’s success goals, teams of employees working together against a common objective need a diverse skill set. In many situations, the collaborative dynamic among team members, affected by differences in experience levels, performance management goals, career expectations, and/or interactive style/behaviour in a group environment, may hinder or “bar” the team’s path to full success.
A variety of team-building workshops can be tailored to meet the team’s unique needs in areas such as communication/listening, teamwork, confidence, and “think globally/act locally.”
Expectations are set and communicated.
- What are the benefits of establishing success goals?
- To be certain that everyone on the team is on the same page.
- To instil a sense of justice and equality within the entire team.
- Describe performance goals in a way that is easy to understand.
- To specify what would not be tolerated/accepted by omission.
- To serve as a foundation for evaluating and recognising results.
What would be a good way to express these expectations? – Here are a few possibilities:
- Describe how the endpoint should appear.
- Describe the steps that must be completed in order to reach the target.
- Make a comparison to something that isn’t work-related.
- Perform the behaviour in a controlled environment or in a practise session.
- Exhibit/demonstrate the behaviour in a real-world situation.
- Key point – clearly defined goals can aid in shaping and influencing behaviour and positively impacting results.
Behaviour Observation and Documentation
It’s important to keep any/all findings focused on patterns of behaviour that can only be seen or heard. This keeps the relationship impartial and eliminates or limits any subjectivity or personal prejudices that may influence the evaluation.
Another thing to consider is whether the behaviour is appropriate for the situation at hand; for example, does listening to music interfere with efficiency, or does the manager want the radio switched off because he or she dislikes that particular genre of music? Key point: A manager or supervisor does not have to be physically present to observe an employee’s behaviour; telephone calls, e-mail correspondence, and input from a third party (as long as it is objective/behavioral) are all valid methods of evaluating performance against expectations.
Providing feedback and coaching
The feedback you give must be important to the performance goals you’ve set.
Managers and supervisors should ask themselves the following questions before giving input or offering coaching: “Is this knowledge helpful in assisting my employee in making a decision?
if his or her success standards are met or exceeded?”
These elements are also crucial in delivering meaningful guidance and success coaching:
- Reliability – provide feedback as soon as possible – the more recent the feedback, the better.
- Maintain a sense of balance by using constructive terms and phrases and offering suggestions for change.
- Specificity – only discuss behaviour that has been seen or heard, and include examples
- Objectivity – concentrate on the performance rather than the individual or personality.
- Purpose – even though the input is unpleasant, frame it with the intention of assisting.
For audiences varying in size from single digits to 100+ participants, Coaching For Enhanced Performance provides both regular and personalised business preparation and business coaching programmes. These workshops are available in half-day and full-day formats, and they can be delivered as standalone sessions or as part of a larger meeting agenda or skills training initiative.
Coaching For Enhanced Performance is dedicated to identifying and supporting the client and team growth needs, with more than 30 years of sales, management, human resources, and company coaching expertise to share. After you’ve had a chance to look over the business coaching services and training programmes outlined on these pages, Coaching for Enhanced Performance will be happy to schedule a no-obligation consultation at your earliest convenience.